Popular Posts

Pole Vault News

Older Posts:

5/19/2009

I'm done numbering posts....

It's been so long since my last post that I have forgot what 2.xx number I was on. O well that's not important at all. Basically all you need/want to know is that I am still alive and jumping.

First, I've told most of the people around me. So I am going to let the cat out of the bag to my faithful readers. I am applying for Jamaican citizenship, so that I can represent Jamaica on the international scene. My father Joel Christopher and my grandfather Charles, were born in Mandeville, Manchester. This allows me to claim citizenship by descent. This process can take 6-12 months, therefore there is a good chance I will miss the JAAA National Meet (June 26-28) and subsequently the World Championships in August (Berlin, Germany). I was hoping to get those stamps in my new passport. O well. That does not mean my career is on hold. It just means my aspirations to compete at World won't happen until 2011. I plan on jumping and working on technique through July. If that call comes however I will be ready. I know a few people wont agree with this "switch", but I consider myself as much Jamaican by heritage as I am American. And this is a great chance for me to continue my career, as well represent my family and country on the world scene. The track community in Jamaica is very proficient and supportive of its track athletes. The US has no shortage of pole vaulters and with the quality of young vaulters in my area alone...I'm sure they wont miss me.

Second, training is going surprisingly well after the Achilles difficulties. I have lost all of my training partners this year. But I have progressed very well by myself, which is something I have struggled with in the past. I have not vaulted well in practice, mostly because I have to limit my spike wearing to meets only. This have gave me time to slow down my vault and work on hitting better positions. I am jumping 1-2 days a week, sprinting 2-3 days a week, long distant running 1 day a week and lifting 4 days a week. I had to spend a few weeks re-establishing a base. That entailed more longer runs and less sprinting. For the past 2 weeks I have had the chance to do more shorts sprints and resistance runs. I have felt me feet getting under me a lot faster. This a good thing.

Expect more posts.
Check out the Friday Night Meets-
http://jumpchrisjump.com/friday.html

O and the Gill Factory Meet is gonna be STACKED....
http://www.gillathletics.com/pvnews/FactoryVault09.html

No comments: