Popular Posts

Pole Vault News

Older Posts:

2/07/2009

Steve Hooker again...



Okay, I posted a video last week of his jumps at 6.16m, but this week deserves commentary. No video yet, so the technique is not the focus of this rant. But 6.06m is. In essence, Steve Hooker of Australia has had two meets from a full approach, last week= 6.01 and this week= 6.06. Two jumps in two weeks that are higher than any other person on American soil Indoors....EVER. This to me signals a rebirth of the event... after a few years of hearing people say that the pegs were too short and the rounded edges were going to protect Bubka's 20ft crown forever, a young guy takes confidence and ability and produces WEEKLY. If Hooker never jumps 6 meters again I will still say he has sparked something for the event.

I'm on day 14 of my injury-imposed rest period and this news has me re-thinking everything I am doing. Every balance drill, heel stretch, all the stretching and icing, just took on more importance to me. Now, more than ever, I have to focus, because this year could be something special for a lot of people. And I know I have the skill-set to jump near my maximum potential this year. This is great...I didn't compete in the meet, but I'm pumped like I was right there, on deck or on hold. Steve Hooker if your out there...keep doing it, because you are on fire right now.

peace

No comments: